Skip to main content

Sairat - adorable yet heartbreaking, shaking, shocking.

So I am no expert on Marathi movies. Haven't seen many classics to be sure of my cinematic references, but like everyone else, can tell a good film from a bad film. In the past few years I've loved a number of Marathi movies. My favorites have been Balak Palak, Jogwa, Natrang, Mumbai-pune-Mumbai; and more recently Katyar kaaljat ghusali and Court. By that list, you probably know that I don't follow the industry so closely, but whenever a movie gets critical or mass acclaimed, I end up wanting to watch it. 

Sairat - had acclaim from both masses and critics. Why last weekend I couldn't reach the box office to get tickets for another Hindi movie in time simply because the queue for this movie so long! So there, I was geared to watch what will unfold. 



With very little background I went in and what I experienced is so diverse that a small post wouldn't do justice. So a blogpost it is: Sairat navigates from a satire on rural Maharashtra to a cute teenage romance to a torrid love story and eventually to a heartbreaking drama - all in one movie. No mean feat. 

Not having seen enough Marathi cinema it is tough to conclude if the story is singularly unique, but there are certainly some Bollywood parallels one could draw. We've seen parts of the story here and there in other films, but the gaavran cocktail is an original mix. And it's soul is its lead pair. 

Newcomers Akash Thosar and Rinku Rajguru are the key reason this movie is as impactful as it is. As the goody boy Parshya and the fiesty Archi, the duo own the celluloid with their chemistry. It's QSQT meets Omkara, if you may, and their naive romance contrasts almost incredulously with the caste drama that is conspicuous even if it isn't uttered much in their bubbling romance in the first half. 

Smartly directed by Nagraj Manjule, the film makes you love the lead pair and you find yourself struggling with them. Your heart goes out to them for every triumph, trials or trebulations they face, however big, small or outright brutal. It's like a fairytale suddenly becomes a reality show with guns and goons. As if the couple lives in two spaces in time simultaneously - one where they can't take eyes off each other, Can't imagine a moment without each other and where they mean the world to eachother. Another, where they can't stand anything about each other, let alone the dumpy circumstances that they've been forced into, and the overbearing world has diminished their love story. They believe in the first but are constantly living the second. Even as the heroine makes obvious mistakes, you can't help but see her Naive heart that wants to believe that there will be a happy ending. 

Without giving away much and delving into the details, It is safe to say makes you question why our society is the way it is? Why is a couple's love the centre stage of a whole village? Why can't we let people be and let them love who they wish to? And eventually what did the society really achieve by interfering in what was pure, genuine and unadulterated. 

Perhaps the success of the film is that these questions apply in contexts way beyond just the plot of this film, which heavily draws on caste. But the same can be said about the other divides that exist in our society over class, status and even gender. Sairat is a heartbreaking realisation that love isn't all you need to survive. Acceptance of your love is more important than your love itself. 

The cinematic highlight is probably the  final sequence that in my view could single handedly be responsible for its acclaim. It's understated and bold at the same time. Innocent and explicit at the same time. Hours later, the visuals still won't leave my mind. 
The film runs close to 3 hours and you wonder if it could've been tighter?.. I say, yes. That is possibly the only critique along with the somewhat familiar moments in the initial part of the film. 

It would be unfair to end the review without mentioning the musical duo Ajay-Atul, who alongside creating some great melodies have also made the lives of gully DJs  easy by giving them the go-to-street-dance-song of the season. Make way to Zing zing zingaat- super catchy beats. The other songs too make a good impact. 

Overall, I am lost between wether I adore the film or am shocked with the eventual message. There were times in the film I felt I want to watch it again and in the end I didn't know if I can ever go through such a celluloid heartbreak again. Definitely a very good film that will first make you fall in love and then want to wonder if there is such a thing as living in love or is it just stuff of fairy tales. I'll end by sharing what my friend said to me when I still had a grim face long after the movie - , "Get over it, it's just a movie!" 

Bravo team Sairat! 
4 stars 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bajirao Mastani - an epic SLB spectacle!

Bhansali ne Bajirao pe film banayi hai; Documentary Nahi!  I want to start my review with those lines simply to act as a disclaimer (much like the movie) to confirm that my views are of this movie as a movie and not as a piece of historic documentation of a much loved and respected character or a review of how well the film recreates the details of an era, which even historians agree isn't well documented. So then..  Everyone has a weakness and mine is mainstream Bollywood.. Every time a big budget multi starrer is in the making, I'm busy following up on it and eagerly awaiting the release. Add to it an A-list cast, appetising promos and interesting music, and I can't wait any more. Obviously, I was looking forward to Bajirao Mastani - a magnum opus by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, who is arguably the most gifted visualiser of our times - love them or hate them, you can't ignore that with every movie Bhansali has made, he has created unforgettable images. And who d

Why Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani is just good not great!..

You may identify with this: the cricket team you supported needed 36 runs to win in the last over. A very capable batsman was on strike. The first 5 balls went for sixes and on the last ball he hits a  desperate  shot and loses the wicket . There is not as much disappointment as there is sheer sympathy that a team tried so hard, was so close to victory, and yet somehow just missed the mark! You will remember it as a great match which they sadly didn't manage to win. Well that's how I feel after watching Y eh J awani H ai D eewani . A film that is almost flawless and yet missing there is something missing and it falls short of being a great modern love story..  No. There is nothing unacceptable about a predictable end. Rarely does a love story end in a tragedy - at least in mainstream Bollywood. Be it DDLJ , J ab W e M et or the more recent Cocktail , were we really surprised the movies ended the way they did ?  It was always the process that made it a good watch.

Baahubali 2 - the tale of a promising second date!

You've been there. A wonderful first date. An experience you want to relive again and again. You think it can't get better and the date ends with the line, let's meet again. Soon. And then the wait begins. Waiting for Bahubali 2 has been like waiting for that date.  As I waited, I relived the film many times. My eyes sparkled every time I remembered the larger than life waterfall, the breathtaking visuals, the sheer opulence. Will the second film be just as great? Will it have the same level of music, action and drama? Will it make me want to whistle, woot and scream, "Jai Mahishmati!"   The second film, much like the second date, in my opinion, was weighed down by the greatness of the first one. Yes, in a single word, this is no comparison to the first film. So unlike the first date, I haven't come back feeling I've found something special. And in a way, I'm glad there's no part 3.  Don't get me wrong! Let's call a spade a